- Applicants must be 18 years or older and have resided in Douglas County for the last six months.
- Applicants must be looking for work and registered at Job Service, and must complete a Job Search form.
- If minor children are in the household applicants must first apply for the W2 Program.
- Applicants must sign up for the Food Stamp Employment and Training Program (FSET)
- If disabled, must provide documentation of disability to have waived.
- Students and workers on strike are not eligible.
- There is a 60-day waiting period from last date of work if applicant quits or is fired.
- Motor vehicles valued at more than $4,000 make applicant ineligible.
- Ownership of more than one motor vehicle (including cars, trucks, ATVs, motorcycles, boats, snowmobiles, campers) is prohibited.
- Capital assets, such as stocks, bonds, or savings certificates are prohibited.
- A person sanctioned from any state or federal program is ineligible for General Assistance during that sanction period.
- Applications are based on total monthly household income as follows:
- 1 person - $400
- 2 persons- $425
- 3 persons - $450
- 4 persons - $500
- 5 persons - $550
- General Assistance pays:
- Rent payments only; no mortgages, land contracts, or low income housing (public housing) payments are made (rent is paid to established landlords - not to relatives or friends)
- Fuel, heat, or utilities for current monthly bill only; past due amounts are not paid
- Medical payments for emergency hospitalizations
- General Assistance benefit payments are paid directly to the landlord, utility, and/or fuel companies - not to the client
- General Assistance benefit amounts:
- 1 person - $250
- 2 persons - $380
- 3 persons - $430
- 4 persons - $495
- 5 persons - $545
- General Assistance benefits are for one month; there is a four month waiting period before benefits can be reinstated